"When I got my first television set, I stopped caring so much about having close relationships." - Andy Warhol

Friday, August 24, 2012

What’s in a favorite?

Funnel cake. A favorite.
When filling out the “About Katie” section of this blog, I paused at the prompt to list my favorite movies. I enjoy a lot of movies, but what do I call a favorite?

I ultimately decided on a strange mix of titles, ranging from the Indiana Jones series to The Devil Wears Prada.

To me, a favorite movie is like a favorite meal – comforting, appealing, and always worth the time (or calories).

The hat, the whip, the legend


Oh, Indiana...
Given that the popularity of the Indiana Jones series spans decades, I don’t think I have to provide too much detail about why I love the series – Indiana’s on screen toughness and tenderness is both humorous and engaging, and the plot lines are always just the right balance of implausibility and adventure.

And unlike the characters in other action movies, who are often one-dimensional and motivated only by a desire for vengeance, Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) is a learned college professor whose adventures stem from his desire to preserve artifacts for the greater good.

You can’t go wrong with a handsomely rugged man who is just as bookish as he is brave.

When mean looks good


In contrast to Indiana’s archaeological adventures, The Devil Wears Prada gives viewers a glimpse into the cult-like mentality of the select few who keep the flywheel of the fashion industry spinning.

The protagonist, Andy (Anne Hathaway), struggles to adapt to the industry’s expectations without compromising her own values in a movie with an upbeat, appealing ambiance. At once, you’re seduced by the exciting, colorful world that produces wearable art, but repulsed by the demoralizing demands that are par for the course in the industry.

Just the moral takeaways from the movie – hard work pays off, be true to yourself, and don’t prejudge based on appearance alone – stand tall enough to make the movie a success, but the humanness of the characters is what I love the most.
Andy, just like her fashion sense, evolves from comfortable and complacent to edgy and elusive, before finally landing at sensible and confident. And her group of friends is believable to me. They’re not blindly supportive of Andy, and at times they’re downright selfish and greedy. I like that.

One of my favorite characters is Miranda Priestsly (Meryl Streep). At the risk of sounding cliche, she sparkles on screen and the reproachfulness she portrays makes you gasp in awe of her icy power (but you secretly want to be her, or at least be her best friend).

Digging too deep

 
Initech: The company that put TPS reports on the map.

As good as my favorites are - everything from Overboard to Office Space - I think the fact that they’re favorites exempts them from deep analysis about what makes them so beloved. Sometimes favorites are favorites just because they are.

You eat it or watch it - you feel good. ‘Nuff said.

2 comments:

  1. And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I specifically remember the day in business school, sitting in a Management Information Systems class when the prof started talking about TPS reports. It was all I could do not to run screaming from the room and swear off of business forever.
    (FYI - A TPS report is a transaction processing system report)

    ReplyDelete